General eligibility requirements

No matter where you apply, you must:

  •  prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires,
  •  show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and to return home,
  •  obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (we may ask you to give us a police clearance certificate),
  •  not be a danger to Canada’s security,
  •  be in good health and have a medical exam, if needed,
  •  not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions,
  •  not plan to work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages, and
  •  give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.

Presenting your documents

When you enter Canada, tell the border services officer (BSO) that you have come here to work.

If you have received a Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction indicating that you are approved to work in Canada, bring it with you. This letter is not a travel document or a work permit, but you must show it when you arrive in Canada.

You should also have supporting documents, such as:

  •  proof that you meet requirements of the job, such as proof of work experience and education,
  •  a copy of your employer’s positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (if required).

Once the border services officer has checked your documents and confirms that you can enter Canada, the officer will print the actual work permit for you.

Medical and health insurance, and workers’ compensation in Canada

Your employer must make sure you are covered by medical and health insurance, and workers’ compensation, when you arrive in Canada.

Getting a social insurance number

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you will need to work in Canada and to access government programs and benefits. You should apply for a SIN as soon as possible after you arrive in Canada.

Staying in Canada

Read your work permit carefully. It sets out all the conditions for working in Canada. If you do not meet those conditions, you could be asked to leave Canada.

You can also apply to change the conditions of your work permit or to renew it.

Employment and labour standards

Each province and territory has standards to protect employers and employees.
Labour standards include rules about:

  •  minimum wage,
  •  overtime,
  •  holidays,
  •  vacations,
  •  hours of work,
  •  rest periods, and
  •  days of rest.

Extend your work permit — Temporary workers

If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a worker, check the expiry date on your work permit, and make sure you apply before that date. Complete the Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada at least 30 days before your current permit expires.